Thursday 18 September 2014

Moving in

Having spent the last 6 months away from Notts, living back home with my parents, I have to say it does feel a little strange to be back living here. I made the decision to move back into student halls, so I'm now living in a small studio flat by myself. Now many people might say I'm mad to be going back into halls after 3 years of house living, but I had some good reasons (whether they will remain good reasons remains to be seen!)

Mainly, this place includes all bills, rent, insurance and security in the 3 payments I make throughout the year, and I know in advance when and how much I need to pay. So as long as I'm careful with my money (and I normally am), I have no need to worry, and can have as many hot showers as I like without worrying about how much it is going to cost me.That lack of worry is the best thing.
Also, as you can see from the title, I'm about to embark on the PhD journey for the first time. I have no idea how much work this is going to entail. So having a tiny flat with only me to worry about takes a whole work load out of the equation. 

Well, me and my two friends!

Anyways, moved into my new room today finally. Managed to bring me, my parents and all my stuff in one car (large improvement from my undergrad years of far too much stuff). That said, they are bringing more stuff up for me in a couple of weeks...
Had a bit of a faff getting my room sorted when we arrived, as for some reason they didn't have my payment confirmation. Luckily I did and they soon handed over the keys. I have to say, the room wasn't exactly in a great state when I got in - muck on the walls, the door stuck, the carpet and hob rings were filthy :/ To be fair on the accomodation people though, we went and told them and within a few hours it's all been sorted! The carpet is still a bit of a mess, but the lovely cleaning guy has done his best and said he will report it (I might even get a new one!).

All my stuff is now unpacked, and whilst it doesn't yet feel very homey, after a few nights I'm sure it will. I even have a tea corner! Plus this place now has wifi which is just heaven in a box. And it's really warm up here (I'm up on the top floor). Which is good in a way, means I shouldn't be sleeping under 4 blankets and a double duvet all year like my last house. 

Tea corner. Best thing.




My parents have also started up my new post card collection :) I have a fairly substantial one from my four years of undergrad, and I now plan on starting a new one which is just as big, if not bigger! (If you ever feel like sending me anything, PLEASE send me a postcard with it :) I love postcards)


First postcard of the degree!
Outcast coming up this weekend :) something I am much looking forward to and will report on next time hopefully. If I remember.

Nel

No comments:

Post a Comment